GeSCI's active engagement in Ghana commenced in June 2006 when the GeSCI Country Programme Facilitator (CPF) was appointed and based at the Ministry of Education and Sports (MOES) in Accra and the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which spelt out the roles and responsibilities of GeSCI and the MOES was signed. The MoU emerged from discussions between GeSCI and the MOES about how GeSCI could best support the efforts of the Ministry using ICT to positively impact the education system and ultimately to promote the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) for education in Ghana.
The overall goals of GeSCI's work in Ghana include the following:
1. Support the development of an ICT4E policy and strategy in Ghana, with the intention to exploit ICT to enhance Ghana's education system and help bridge the digital divide so that Ghana's students and citizens can be full participants in the global information society and knowledge economy.
2. Facilitate the development of an Implementation Plan for an ICTE policy and strategy.
3. Support implementation by identifying the structures and partners needed, as well as seeking resources for the implementation of Ghana's e-Schools programme.
4. Develop a second, more detailed MoU within a year, describing Ghana's implementation plan and specific milestones and targets, and how GeSCI will support this work.
5. Source resources critical to achieving the plan, including creating linkages with international donor organizations, foundations and private sector companies and providing advice on drafting proposals that are compelling to such potential contributors.